SAN FRANCISCO — Dec. 10, 2012 —Embarcadero Technologies, a leading provider of software solutions for application and database development, today launched Embarcadero C++Builder® XE3, a new C++ development platform for multi-device development. C++Builder® XE3 implements a completely new multi-targeting native compiler architecture that extends Embarcadero’s long C++ lineage for developers, ISVs, and enterprises who need to build high-performance applications for multiple devices. The new release supports natively targeting Windows 8 and Mac OS X PCs, laptops, and Intel-based mobile devices from a single C++ codebase and development effort. Plans for iOS and Android ARM mobile device support have been announced for 2013.
The new C++Builder XE3 also includes a full 64-bit compiler and VCL update for existing C++Builder customers, enabling rapid 64-bit updates for millions of existing Windows applications. The new 64-bit compiler architecture also provides some of the best C++11 language standards and library compliance in the industry.
Developers benefit from the ability to:
- Natively target multiple devices with a single effort: With C++Builder’s multi-device architecture, development teams can now natively deliver applications on more devices, operating systems and form factors without significant time and cost increases by leveraging a common codebase.
- Speed development with Agile C++: Developers can use Embarcadero standard C++ extensions to speed and streamline C++ development, up to 5x faster than traditional development, with agile techniques such as rapid prototyping, PME (properties/methods/events) component-based programming, and visual development.
- Achieve a new level of C/C++ standards support and compatibility: Developers can use the Clang 3.1 compatible compiler with the latest C++ language features and libraries as well as integrate legacy source code to adhere to existing and newly released standards, including C++11.
- Gain 64-bit speed, power and capacity: C++Builder’s 64-bit compiler architecture generates applications that can utilize more memory and data, and directly access 64-bit APIs, device drivers, and system services, enabling developers to create higher performance, more capable and more powerful applications.
- Produce visually stunning applications: Build applications with Microsoft® Windows 8 style UI for desktop across a variety of Windows® operating systems (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8). Mac OS X and Retina Display support enables developers to create the best looking Mac apps with native user experience and automatic HiDPI display support.
C++ Still Rocking After Three Decades
For more than 30 years C++ has been the common standard across operating systems—and it remains the language standard of choice for developers today. The majority of the leading commercial client and server software today is written in C++, including Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, Google Chrome, Firefox, Mac OS X, iOS, Oracle database, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and others. Top web companies, such as Facebook, PayPal, and Amazon also use C++. The renewed focus placed on client user experience and the use of C++ by every major OS and software vendor makes it clear C++ is more relevant today than ever.
Embarcadero’s C++ Builder lineage stretches back more than 15 years to when a group of developers at Borland produced the original C++ Builder platform which combined the renowned Borland C++ compiler with a Rapid Application Development experience. The new C++Builder is produced by Embarcadero, and continues to lead the market by consistently delivering a trusted solution that vastly improves quality, time to market, and total cost of ownership for C++ development. Unlike other C++ tools, the C++Builder platform offers the perfect balance of agile development, standards, compliance, and the ability to target multiple devices—all from a single codebase.
“The diversification of client devices in the last several years has been a seismic event with tremendous implications for software developers,” said Michael Swindell, Embarcadero senior vice president of marketing and product management. “The question for developers today is how to deliver applications across multiple devices including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android without compromising performance and user experience or radically increasing development time and cost. This is the problem and opportunity driving our reinvention of the C++ platform. With C++Builder XE3, developers can build once and deploy natively across multiple platforms. As we add additional platforms to the solution, the benefit to the developer will continue to increase.”
“C++ Builder is for me the best C++ compiler for Windows in the market,” said Humberto Bejarano Bravo, CEO, Neural Engine. “It is the only true Rapid Application Development for C++ that lets us easily develop our own components, and has an extensive network of partners that develop many more. We can build working prototypes in minutes. Now with 64-bit support, our applications are ready for all kinds of computers and operating systems.”
Immediate availability, online, direct from Embarcadero and/or through partners. Please visit www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder for more information.
About Embarcadero Technologies
Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. is a leading provider of award-winning tools for application developers and database professionals so they can design systems right, build them faster and run them better, regardless of their platform or programming language. Ninety of the Fortune 100 and an active community of more than three million users worldwide rely on Embarcadero products to increase productivity, reduce costs, simplify change management and compliance, and accelerate innovation. Founded in 1993, Embarcadero is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices located around the world. www.embarcadero.com
Kulesa Faul for Embarcadero Technologies