Embarcadero® RAD Studio XE5 is app development for teams building true native apps for Android and iOS, and getting them to app stores and enterprises fast. Build apps using the same source codebase without sacrificing app quality, connectivity or performance. With native Android and iOS support, reach the largest addressable mobile markets in the world.
RAD Studio XE5 is filled with hundreds of new features and enhancements to help you build ultra-rich apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and OS X ultra-fast.
New features include:
- Create native Android apps with the new Delphi ARM compiler and visual tools
- New support for cloud-based RESTful web services
- Integrated FireDAC database access components and library
...and much more.
For more detailed information on what's new in RAD Studio XE5, see the What's New in RAD Studio XE5 page.
- Delphi XE5 – Delphi XE5 is easy-to-learn app development for teams building true native apps for Android and iOS, and getting them to app stores and enterprises fast.
- C++Builder XE5 – C++Builder XE5 is the C++ solution for building high performance apps for iOS, Windows and OS X, and getting them to users and enterprises fast.
- DB PowerStudio XE3.5 Dev Edition (in Ultimate edition only) – DB PowerStudio provides fast SQL database development, database change management, SQL profiling, and SQL tuning.
- ER/Studio 9.5 Developer Edition (in Architect edition only) - ER/Studio helps data architects discover, document, and re-use data assets and gives you the power to easily reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases.
- InterBase XE3 Developer Edition and InterBase XE3 ToGo (in Professional edition and above) – InterBase Developer Edition provides developers with the best cross-platform database to build and test database applications for embedded and SME applications.
- IBLite database for Android and iOS with free deployment license (in Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate and Architect editions) – Use this new edition of InterBase in your mobile apps and deploy free. InterBase ToGo for Android and iOS is also available (sold separately) for developers who want a more feature rich database to embed in their apps.
- Additional Tools – RAD Studio includes a comprehensive set of additional tools to help you do more than ever before:
- FastReport VCL 4-RAD edition and FastReport FMX Embarcadero Edition from Fast Reports so you can quickly design and generate reports
- Documentation Insight Express from DevJET Software helps you visually read and write XML documentation in the Delphi IDE
- TeeChart Standard from Steema provides quick and easy-to-use charting components
- VCL for the Web (IntraWeb) from AtoZed is a complete RAD Web Application framework
- CodeSite Express logging tools for building quality applications
- AQtime Standard from SmartBear for performance profiling
- Beyond Compare Text Compare lets you view differences between source files
- Partner Software – RAD Studio users have access to a variety of free and trial editions of tools and components from Embarcadero Technology Partners accessible online from the Embarcadero developer network.
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB+ recommended)
- 3-35 GB free hard disk space depending on edition and configuration
- DVD-ROM drive (if installing from a Media Kit DVD)
- Basic GPU – Any vendor DirectX 9.0 class or better (Pixel Shader Level 2)
- Intel® Pentium® or compatible, 1.6 GHz minimum (2GHz+ recommended)
- 1024x768 or higher-resolution monitor
- Mouse or other pointing device
- Microsoft® Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows Vista™ SP2 (32-bit and 64-bit) requires administrator rights
- Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit)
For developing 64-bit Windows applications
PC running a 64-bit version of Windows or a 32-bit development PC connected with a PC running a 64-bit version of Windows
For developing OS X applications
PC running Windows connected with an Intel-based Mac, with 2 GB RAM or more, running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or 10.7 (Lion) over a local area network using a SSH, VNC or Windows file sharing solution
For developing iOS applications
PC running Windows connected with an Intel-based Mac, with 2 GB RAM or more, running OS X 10.8 or 10.7 over a local area network using a SSH, VNC or Windows file sharing solution with the latest version of Xcode that supports iOS 6.x. An Apple Developer account is required to deploy iOS apps to physical devices.
Supported deployment platforms
PCs and tablets with Intel/AMD processors running Windows XP or later. Macs running OS X 10.7 or later. iPhone 3GS or later, iPad, or iPod Touch 4th Generation or later running iOS 6.0 or later. Android phones and tablets: ARMv7 devices with NEON support, running Android Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3, 4.0.4) or Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x) or later.
Apps created RAD Studio XE5 and Delphi XE5 are designed to run on Android phones and tablets: ARMv7 devices with NEON support, running Android Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3, 4.0.4) or Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x). Compatibility may vary based on device hardware and specs. Click here for more details on the supported Android versions and devices, including devices we have tested.
All editions of RAD Studio support mobile development for Android and iOS with Delphi, for iOS with C++Builder, and web-based mobile app development with HTML5 Builder.
DataSnap Mobile Connectors are available in Enterprise edition and above.
When developing for iOS, you will also need a Mac computer for development and running in the simulator. You will need an Apple Developer account to test and deploy to iOS devices. Additional details are available in the online and product documentation.
You can use an online service like MacinCloud to run OS X apps that you create with RAD Studio and you can use MacinCloud to test your Delphi iOS apps in the simulator. Access to a physical Mac machine is required for on-device testing.
FireDAC provides easy-to-use, high performance, multi-device enterprise database connectivity for Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio. With its powerful universal architecture FireDAC enables direct access from your Windows and Mac applications to Oracle, SQL Server, InterBase, DB2, Firebird, SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Access, Informix, DataSnap and more. And now, access to IBLite, InterBase ToGo and SQLite databases from your Android and iOS apps. In addition to blazing speed and universal access, FireDAC also supports vendor specific database features as well as deployment across multiple client operating systems and device platforms.
FireDAC is include as part of the install. Features vary by edition with local/embedded database connectivity to select databases in Professional edition and local/embedded plus enterprise database connectivity in Enterprise edition or higher, or with purchase of the Client/Server Add-On Pack for Professional. More information is available at http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac.
Yes. With RAD Studio XE5, you also get access to licenses for older versions – Delphi 2007-XE4 and Delphi 7, C++Builder 2007-XE4 and C++Builder 6, HTML5 Builder XE3 and RadPHP XE-XE2. See the RAD Studio Previous Versions web page for further details.
No. They are considered part of your XE5 license and are tied to your user account. They cannot be given away or sold.
Your earlier version license and the XE5 you upgrade to are considered one named user license that covers both versions. If you already own an earlier version and go to the web page and request the same version license, you will just get a re-send of your existing serial number.
Some of those earlier products are only available in Professional and Enterprise editions.
Version 2006 included some third party licensed code that we are no longer able to ship. Delphi 6, C++Builder 5 and earlier were discontinued years ago and we don't have plans to bring them back.
Those versions used an earlier version of our licensing technology. We are looking at offering those older versions as apps in a future version of AppWave.
It could be a little confusing for some customers when they purchase RAD Studio XE5 and receive twelve different serial numbers and download links. We tried to keep it simple by just delivering the XE5 license and allowing them to request the other licenses as needed.
We can't guarantee that the older versions will be available indefinitely so you should be sure to download your earlier version software and licenses within 180 days.
The earlier versions are available in English, French, German and Japanese. For versions 2007 and later, there is a single download and you choose the language at install time. For version Delphi 7 and C++Builder 6, there are separate downloads for each localized version.
Delphi for .NET is no longer available and is not available as part of the older version downloads.
Support and Maintenance can be purchased at the time you purchase your RAD Studio product or upgrade. The support and maintenance agreement gives you a year of upgrades (including major and minor upgrades) and a specified number of support incidents. See the Support dropdown menu item of our web site for additional information.
With Support and Maintenance, you get the latest feature updates and upgrades as they are released. The mobile functionality in RAD Studio may have frequent upgrades and feature updates. Support and Maintenance is generally the most cost effective way to stay up-to-date with the latest versions.
Updates and additional software for RAD Studio users are available on the registered users download page at http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/rad_studio. More major new feature upgrades are available only to users with current maintenance agreements. Notifications for those upgrades are delivered via email and the upgrades can be downloaded via the Maintenance Portal web site by following the instructions in the email.
RAD Studio is available in English, French, German and Japanese. The installer lets you choose any combination of languages and it's easy to switch between languages in the IDE.
RAD Studio XE5 is available with multiple licensing options including:
- Individual named user licenses delivered via electronic software delivery (ESD) as a download and serial number. Discounted 5-packs and 10-packs are also available
- Network Named and Concurrent user licenses managed using Embarcadero AppWave and provide the additional flexibility of managing licenses on a license server plus software provisioning
- Network licenses managed by Flexera FlexNet are available on a special request basis
- Academic individual licenses for students and educators as well as volume licenses for classroom use
The Academic edition can be used only for learning in an academic or classroom environment. Educational institutions cannot use the academic version to produce software for use within their institution. Academic licenses don't qualify for upgrade pricing to commercial licenses.
- Special discounted upgrades are available for a limited time for RAD Studio XE4 users to upgrade to RAD Studio XE5 at the same edition level (i.e. Enterprise to Enterprise, Ultimate to Ultimate)
- Professional edition upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2010-XE4 versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder.
- Enterprise edition upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2010-XE4 versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder; Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate or Architect editions.
- Ultimate edition upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2010-XE4 versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder; Enterprise, Ultimate or Architect editions.
- Architect edition upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2010-XE4 versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder; Enterprise, Ultimate or Architect editions.
Academic products do not qualify for upgrade pricing.
InterBase XE3 Developer Edition is InterBase XE3 Server licensed for up to 20 users (80 database connections). The InterBase software is automatically installed with a default install of Delphi or C++Builder in RAD Studio XE5 and licensed with your RAD Studio XE5 serial number. An InterBase ToGo developer license is also included in your RAD Studio XE5 license. You can deploy InterBase ToGo for testing purposes using the InterBase ToGo Test Deployment serial number included as part of your RAD Studio XE5 order delivery email. This is not available for AppWave Network license users.
When you're ready to deploy applications using InterBase, Embarcadero offers a variety of editions (Desktop, Server and To-Go) and a variety of licensing options (flexible server licensing, multi-packs and OEM licensing). Contact Embarcadero Sales or partners for more information. See the license terms in the Delphi license.rtf file for additional licensing details.
To obtain your free IBLite deployment license, use the IBLite serial number in your order delivery email and follow the instructions to generate a license file that you will use to distribute IBLite with your Android and iOS applications.
Embarcadero RAD Studio XE5 is the newest version in the studio product line. Earlier versions were named Embarcadero RAD Studio XE4, XE3, XE2, XE and 2010, CodeGear RAD Studio 2009 and 2007, and Borland Developer Studio 2006.
See the Supported Versions List for the latest information by version.
HTML5 Builder is the replacement for RadPHP in the Embarcadero product portfolio for Web and Mobile application platforms.
For answers to technical questions on Delphi, and C++Builder, see the FAQs for each of those product.