Embarcadero® RAD Studio XE6 is the complete software development solution for building true native applications for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android from a single codebase. Develop high performance, multi-device, compiled native applications that deliver the best user experience. Extend your Windows applications with mobile companion apps and easily connect with enterprise data, cloud and BaaS services.
RAD Studio XE6 is filled with hundreds of new features and enhancements to help you build and update applications for Windows, Mac OS X, iOS and Android.
New features include:
- New for Windows/VCL developers: TaskBar component, App Tethering, new VCL styles, menu styling, sensor components, TWebBrowser enhancements
- New for FMX on desktop and mobile development: Monetize mobile apps with in app purchases and in app advertising, cloud service integration with BaaS components for Parse and Kinvey, accessibility improvements, enhanced FM styles, develop apps for Google Glass
- New for C++ developers: Develop Android apps in C++, 64-bit package support, find definition and find references
- Core enhancements: Database and FireDAC enhancements, FDMemTable, Database Explorer for FireDAC, Apache support (WebBroker), OminiXML library support, DirectX 11 headers, DataSnap performance and updated wizards, RTL refactoring and enhancements, FireDAC Informix driver updates, Apache C++ support
...and much more including quality and performance improvements throughout.
For more detailed information on what's new in RAD Studio XE6, see the What's New in RAD Studio XE6 page.
- Delphi – The fastest way to build native apps for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android .
- C++Builder – Multi-device C++ development for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android .
- HTML5 Builder - Multi-device web and mobile web app development.
- DB PowerStudio Dev Edition (in Ultimate edition only) – Fast SQL database development, database change management, SQL profiling, and SQL tuning.
- ER/Studio Developer Edition (in Architect edition only) - Discover, document, and re-use data assets, and easily reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize databases.
- InterBase Developer Edition and InterBase ToGo (in Professional edition and above) – InterBase Developer Edition provides developers with the best cross-platform database to build and test database applications for embedded and SME applications.
- IBLite database for Android and iOS with free deployment license (in Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate and Architect editions) – Use this new edition of InterBase in your mobile apps and deploy free. InterBase ToGo for Android and iOS is also available (sold separately) for developers who want a more feature rich database to embed in their apps.
- Additional Tools – RAD Studio includes a comprehensive set of additional tools to help you do more than ever before:
- FastReport VCL 4-RAD edition and FastReport FMX Embarcadero Edition from Fast Reports so you can quickly design and generate reports
- TeeChart Standard from Steema provides quick and easy-to-use charting components
- VCL for the Web (IntraWeb) from AtoZed is a complete RAD Web Application framework
- CodeSite Express logging tools for building quality applications
- AQtime Standard from SmartBear for performance profiling
- Beyond Compare Text Compare lets you view differences between source files
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB+ recommended)
- 3-44 GB free hard disk space depending on edition and configuration
- DVD-ROM drive (if installing from a Media Kit DVD)
- Basic GPU – Any vendor DirectX 9.0 class or better (Pixel Shader Level 2)
- Intel® Pentium® or compatible, 1.6 GHz minimum (2GHz+ recommended)
- 1024x768 or higher-resolution monitor
- Mouse or other pointing device
- Microsoft® Windows 8 or 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows Vista™ SP2 (32-bit and 64-bit) requires administrator rights
- Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 and 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- RAD Studio can also be run on Mac OS X by using a virtual machine (VM) such as VMware Fusion or Parallels hosting Windows Vista, 7 or 8
For developing 64-bit Windows applications
PC running a 64-bit version of Windows or a 32-bit development PC connected with a PC running a 64-bit version of Windows
For developing Mac OS X applications
PC running Windows connected with an Intel-based Mac or a Mac running Windows in a VM, with 2 GB RAM or more, running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
For developing iOS applications
PC running Windows connected with an Intel-based Mac or a Mac running Windows in a VM, with 2 GB RAM or more, running OS X 10.9 or 10.8 with the latest version of Xcode that supports iOS 6.x or later. An Apple Developer account is required to deploy iOS apps to physical devices.
Supported deployment platforms
PCs and tablets with Intel/AMD processors running Windows Vista, 7, 8.x or later. Macs running OS X 10.8 or later. iPhone 3GS or later, iPad, or iPod Touch 4th Generation or later running iOS 6.0 or later. Android phones and tablets: ARMv7 devices with NEON support, running Android Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3, 4.0.4), Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x), KitKat (4.4x) or later.
Microsoft no longer offers or supports Windows XP so we don’t list it as an officially supported deployment platform but applications written with Delphi should still run well on XP. We have not done anything in Delphi to remove support for targeting XP.
Apps created RAD Studio XE6 are designed to run on Android phones and tablets: ARMv7 devices with NEON FPU support, running Android Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3, 4.0.4), Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x) or KitKit (4.4.x). Compatibility may vary based on device hardware and specs. Click here for more details on the supported Android versions and devices, including devices we have tested.
All editions of RAD Studio support mobile development for Android and iOS with Delphi, C++Builder, and web-based mobile app development with HTML5 Builder.
DataSnap Mobile Connectors are available in Enterprise edition and above.
When developing for iOS, you will also need a Mac computer for development and running in the simulator. You will need an Apple Developer account to test and deploy to iOS devices. Additional details are available in the online and product documentation.
You can use an online service like MacinCloud to run OS X apps that you create with RAD Studio and you can use MacinCloud to test your Delphi iOS apps in the simulator. Access to a physical Mac machine is required for on-device testing.
FireDAC makes database app development fun again with easy-to-use, high performance, multi-device enterprise database connectivity for Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio. With its powerful universal architecture FireDAC enables direct access from your applications to Oracle, SQL Server, InterBase, DB2, Firebird, SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Access, Informix, DataSnap and more. And now, access to IBLite, InterBase ToGo and SQLite databases from your Android and iOS apps. In addition to blazing speed and universal access, FireDAC also supports vendor specific database features as well as deployment across multiple client operating systems and device platforms.
FireDAC is include as part of the install. Features vary by edition with local/embedded database connectivity to select databases in Professional edition and local/embedded plus enterprise database connectivity in Enterprise edition or higher, or with purchase of the Client/Server Add-On Pack for Professional. More information is available at http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac.
Yes. With RAD Studio XE6, you also get access to licenses for older versions – Delphi 2007-XE5 and Delphi 7, C++Builder 2007-XE5 and C++Builder 6, HTML5 Builder XE3 and RadPHP XE-XE2. See the RAD Studio Previous Versions web page for further details.
No. They are considered part of your XE6 license and are tied to your user account. They cannot be given away or sold.
Your earlier version license and the XE6 you upgrade to are considered one named user license that covers both versions. If you already own an earlier version and go to the web page and request the same version license, you will just get a re-send of your existing serial number.
Some of those earlier products are only available in Professional and Enterprise editions.
Version 2006 included some third party licensed code that we are no longer able to ship. Delphi 6, C++Builder 5 and earlier were discontinued years ago and we don't have plans to bring them back.
Those versions used an earlier version of our licensing technology.
We can't guarantee that the older versions will be available indefinitely so you should be sure to download your earlier version software and licenses within 180 days.
The earlier versions are available in English, French, German and Japanese. For versions 2007 and later, there is a single download and you choose the language at install time. For version Delphi 7 and C++Builder 6, there are separate downloads for each localized version.
Delphi for .NET is no longer available and is not available as part of the older version downloads.
The RAD License Recharge Plan allows you to continually recharge your RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder license with every major release at an affordable License Recharge fee for each release. Rather than trying deciding which release to upgrade to each year, with the Recharge Plan you can now stay up-to-date with every release and all the latest new features, OS versions and new device support all year long - all for less than the price of one single annual upgrade. Learn more at http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/recharge.
Support and Maintenance can be purchased at the time you purchase your RAD Studio product or upgrade. The support and maintenance agreement gives you a year of upgrades (including major and minor upgrades) and a specified number of support incidents. See the Support dropdown menu item of our web site for additional information.
With Support and Maintenance, you get the latest feature updates and upgrades as they are released. The mobile functionality in RAD Studio may have frequent upgrades and feature updates. Support and Maintenance is generally the most cost effective way to stay up-to-date with the latest versions.
Updates and additional software for RAD Studio users are available on the registered users download page at http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/rad_studio. More major new feature upgrades are available only to users with current maintenance agreements. Notifications for those upgrades are delivered via email and the upgrades can be downloaded via the Maintenance Portal web site by following the instructions in the email.
RAD Studio is available in English, French, German and Japanese. The installer lets you choose any combination of languages and it's easy to switch between languages in the IDE.
RAD Studio XE6 is available with multiple licensing options including:
- Individual named user licenses delivered via electronic software delivery (ESD) as a download and serial number. Discounted 5-packs and 10-packs are also available
- Network Named and Concurrent user licenses provide the additional flexibility of managing licenses on a license server plus software provisioning
- Network licenses managed by Flexera FlexNet are available on a special request basis
- Academic individual licenses for students and educators as well as volume licenses for classroom use
The Academic edition can be used only for learning in an academic or classroom environment. Educational institutions cannot use the academic version to produce software for use within their institution. Academic licenses don't qualify for upgrade pricing to commercial licenses.
- You can visit our online store at https://store.embarcadero.com to see the upgrade qualifications or http://www.embarcadero.com/upgrade-requirements-and-return-policy.
Academic products do not qualify for upgrade pricing.
InterBase XE3 Developer Edition is InterBase XE3 Server licensed for up to 20 users (80 database connections). The InterBase software is automatically installed with a default install of Delphi or C++Builder in RAD Studio and licensed with your RAD Studio serial number. An InterBase ToGo developer license is also included in your RAD Studio license. You can deploy InterBase ToGo for testing purposes using the InterBase ToGo Test Deployment serial number included as part of your RAD Studio order delivery email. This is not available for Network license users.
When you're ready to deploy applications using InterBase, Embarcadero offers a variety of editions (Desktop, Server and To-Go) and a variety of licensing options (flexible server licensing, multi-packs and OEM licensing). Contact Embarcadero Sales or partners for more information. See the license terms in the Delphi license.rtf file for additional licensing details.
To obtain your free IBLite deployment license, use the IBLite serial number in your order delivery email and follow the instructions to generate a license file that you will use to distribute IBLite with your Android and iOS applications.
Embarcadero RAD Studio XE6 is the newest version in the studio product line. Earlier versions were named Embarcadero RAD Studio XE5, XE4, XE3, XE2, XE and 2010, CodeGear RAD Studio 2009 and 2007, and Borland Developer Studio 2006.
HTML5 Builder is the replacement for RadPHP in the Embarcadero product portfolio for Web and Mobile application platforms.
See this FAQ for details.
For answers to technical questions on Delphi, and C++Builder, see the FAQs for each of those product.