If you are planning on developing applications using the RAD Studio IDE, then this page will tell you all you need to know about these top two questions from developers.
- What hardware and OS do I need for development of native applications?
- Where can I deploy the applications I build?
The RAD Studio IDE is a Window application that compiles applications for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and Linux, all from Windows. The RAD Studio IDE connects to remote platforms using its remote Platform Assistant application called PAServer. Through PA Server the IDE deploys files, code signs applications, manages SDKs and enables remote debugging of the applications you develop.
RAD Studio IDE requires at least:
- 1.6 GHz or faster processor
- 2 GB of RAM
- Between 6 GB and 60 GB¹ of available disk space.
- Direct X 11-capable video card that runs at 1024x768 or higher resolution
- Windows 10 Anniversary Edition is recommended and required for development for the Windows 10 store.
¹ Depends on your RAD Studio edition and the features selected during the installation. For more information, see EMB_TEXT_ESTIMATED_REQUIRED_SPACE
Requirements to develop projects for EMB_TEXT_SUPPORTED_TARGET_PLATFORMS:
RAD Studio Tokyo supports the following target platforms:
|Windows||Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1+), Windows Server 2016, and Windows Server 2012 R2||32-bit Windows|
|macOS||10.14 Mojave, 10.13 High Sierra and 10.12 Sierra||macOS|
|iOS||iOS 12, iOS 11, and iOS 10||iOS Device 32-bit|
|iOS Device 64-bit|
|Android*||9, 8, 7, 6, and 5||Android|
|Linux||Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and RedHat Enterprise Linux (version 7)||64-bit Linux||**|
* RAD Studio only supports real devices (no Android emulator support) with EMB_TEXT_NEON support.
** Available via EMB_TEXT_THIRD_PARTY add-on
In most countries, developing for iOS and macOS requires Apple hardware to code sign native applications. This is due to EULA restrictions on the macOS that requires it to run on Apple hardware. If you want to manage costs, it’s not uncommon for a team of developers to share an Apple device, such as a Mac Mini and use VNC access, or to rent a mac in the cloud.
If you prefer to develop from a laptop, then many developers get a MacBook Pro and run a virtual machine for Windows (using e.g. VMWare Fusion or Parallels). It is then possible to install PA Server on the Mac and run a fast local connection to enable access to the iOS Simulator, to run and test iOS and macOS builds, and code sign applications on the Apple hardware.
Android devices can be connected to directly and are considerably faster than using the Android emulator.
Now in Tokyo Release 3 (10.2.3), mobile device support is included in all Pro Editions of RAD Studio, C++ Builder, and Delphi! Cross-platform application development has never been easier or more accessible than now.
RAD Studio 10.2.3 provides new C++ capabilities, expands RAD Server support for ExtJS, enhances HighDPI support for VCL, makes quality improvements in FireMonkey(FMX), and more!
RAD Studio 10.2 includes the first RAD Studio Linux compiler, improved IDE menus for faster navigation, a host of FireMonkey updates and new features, new TDataSet capabilities, multi-tenancy support in RAD Server, updates to FireDAC, a number of RTL enhancements, improvements in SOAP support, greatly improved compiled C++ performance, and more.
RAD Studio 10.2 follows the EMB_TEXT_10_1_2_RELEASE that introduced the first IDE to offer Windows 32bit and 64bit developers access to the Windows store via the EMB_TEXT_WINDOWS_10_DESKTOP_BRIDGE, expanding AppStore support to Windows, macOS, iOS and Android stores.
With a new dark theme and installer, customizing your IDE to match your coding style has never been easier.
- Dark and Light Themes Whether you like to code at night or during the brightest times of days, RAD Studio's Light and Dark themes have you covered. Dark themes have been reported to reduce eye strain in low light environments, allowing you to work more productively at night. It's easy to toggle between dark and light themes via a toolbar menu.
- Improved Installer The improved installer UI and license manager UI help you identify the options you need and skip what you don't.
- Customizable UI The IDE's layouts are now even more customizable, with a new layout option for startup and when no files are open.
- New Component Icons Find the components you need at a glance with modernized icons, designed to be clear and recognizable.
80% of Internet users own a smartphone and access applications and data from both their mobile device and their laptop/desktop, so developing cross-platform applications is more important than ever. Mobile support is now included in all Pro, Enterprise, and Architect editions of RAD Studio, C++ Builder, and Delphi.
FireMonkey (FMX) enables modern cross-platform user interfaces, and now it's even better with these improvements:
- Quick Edit feature allows you to easily edit a control by changing its name, caption, alignment and layout options.
- Labels font rendering (when in scrolling containers) an all platforms
- Updated Android Admob mobile support to SDK version 7
- Improvements to the DateEdit control, the TrackBar control on Windows, the SpinBox's OnChange event, Viewport3D control rendering on Android and Treeview items display
- Improved Exception handling on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
- New FMX UI Templates for macOS and Android to make your apps look amazing! These UI screens cover the key UI paradigms that mobile application developers need in today's applications. The GUI templates are available for download in GetIt and include multiple UI designs for login screens, sign-up screens, profile screens, settings screens and more.
- Rename Refactoring. C++ Rename Refactoring in 10.2 Tokyo Release 3 allows you to right-click an identifier in your code, and quickly rename it throughout your project to improve code readability, reduce errors when renaming, and decrease effort to maintain the project.
10.2.3 contains the core of a new C++ IDE tooling capability that stores an AST for your project - symbols, code structure, and more, and this is used for Find References and Rename Refactoring.
- CMake Commandline Support. In 10.2.3, we provide support for building CMake projects on the command line using our compilers. We also specifically support using Ninja with CMake, allowing for very fast parallel builds. This will allow you to easily build third-party libraries without converting them to a C++Builder project. You can also use Ninja for improved build times. CMake supports our Clang-enhanced compilers, and for Win32 uses the new Clang-enhanced driver, bcc32x. CMake command line support is provided for Windows, Android and iOS.
- New bcc32x Compiler Frontend. The existing Win32 Clang-enhanced compiler, bcc32c, which remains in C++Builder, shares a common command line interface with the classic bcc32 compiler. This is a great upgrade path, but meant that all of the Clang-enhanced compilers shared a common command-line interface except for Win32 (bcc32c). The new bcc32x is exactly the same as bcc32c, except that it shares a common command line interface with bcc64, bccios32, bccios64, and bccaarm, adding full consistency across our current-gen compilers.
RAD Studio 10.2.3 enhances support for HighDPI, improves rendering for certain controls and adds improvements to VCL Styles.
- Enhanced HighDPI Support
- Improved VCL styles for ComboBox scrollbars, Popup menu items, controls on a DBCtrlGrid, StatusBar grip, tab sheet images, date-time picker control and accelerator keys in menus
- Improved control rendering for MonthCalendar, GridPanel scaling and DBGrid scaling
- RAD Studio 10.2 added multi-tenancy support
- A single RAD Server instance with a single RAD Server database connection can now support multiple isolated tenants
- Each tenant has a unique set of RAD Server resources including Users, Groups, Installations, Edge Modules, and other data
- Tenant Administration: Create new tenants, edit existing ones, add, edit or delete tenants
- NEW in 10.2.2! Enterprise and Architect editions now include a single server/single site deployment license for RAD Server ($5000 value)
Starting in RAD Studio 10.2, the Delphi IDE includes its first LLVM based Linux compiler for enterprise development, enabling Delphi developers to target 64-bit Intel Linux servers and devices. The Linux compiler is certified for Ubuntu Server (LTS 16.04) and RedHat Enterprise (V7) and is built on top of the LLVM engine. ARC is enabled for effective memory management, while to ensure compatibility with code written for Windows Server, one based strings are used by default.
The new Linux compiler includes
- Full File System support
- Threads and Parallel Programming Library
- FireDAC database access support (for most Linux compatible databases).
- WebBroker, EMS (RAD Server), and DataSnap
- InterBase 2017/ IBToGo 2017 in RAD Studio. InterBase 2017 Developer edition replaces InterBase XE7, which was installed until version 10.2.2. Since we're now including InterBase 2017 as part of the main install, we have disabled the separate download from GetIt available in previous 10.2 versions. The InterBase 2017 Developer license was already included in 10.2.
- DataSnap improvements. Improvements include TDSServer OnError triggering, DSClient connection on C++, Apache Datasnap server methods with JSON parameters and removal of memory leaks in TCP configuration.
- RAD Server has improvements in CORS support and Linux / Apache stability
- FireDAC fixes to TFDQuery.OpenOrExecute, PostgreSQL DirectExecute, BatchMove support for CVS files on mobile, TFDDataSet.PSUpdateRecord and other FDBatchMove improvements
RAD Studio 10.4 delivers significantly enhanced high-performance native Windows support, increased productivity with blazing fast code completion, faster code with managed records and enhanced parallel tasks on modern multi-core CPUs, over 1000 quality and performance enhancements, and much much more.
We are pleased to announce that RAD Studio 10.4 Sydney is now available. This release adds significant new and enhanced Windows capabilities throughout the product in addition to major productivity and performance enhancements across supported platforms. Delphi 10.4, C++Builder 10.4 and RAD Studio 10.4 are available to download by any active Update Subscription customer.
This new release also includes key fixes and notable enhancements. To learn more about 10.4, EMB_TEXT_CLICK_HERE.
Improved code completion for Object Pascal, new custom managed records, unified memory management, RTL speed improvements, toolchain performance and quality improvements, and more.
Expanded C++ libraries support, a new debugger for Windows 64-bit, toolchain performance and quality improvements, and more.
Find out all about the great features added in RAD Studio 10.3.3.
The largest and best improvement to Delphi’s code tooling in many years, 10.4 provides Code Insight using a Delphi implementation of the Language Server Protocol (LSP). LSP is a technique for calculating results for code completion, navigation or similar in a separate process. This means that the IDE will never block while completing and Code Insight will provide accurate results. 10.4 provides a much enhanced developer productivity experience when working with large projects with millions of lines of code.
A key language addition to the Delphi language, the Delphi record type now supports custom initialization, finalization, and copy operations. Developers now have the ability to customize how records get created, copied, and destroyed, by writing the code to be executed at the various steps.
This adds additional power to records in Delphi, a construct used to achieve better efficiency compared to classes.
Delphi memory management is now unified across all supported platforms – mobile, desktop and server – using the classic implementation of object memory management. Compared to Automatic Reference Counting (ARC), this offers better compatibility with existing code and simpler coding for components, libraries and end user applications. The ARC model remains for string management and interface type references for all platforms. For C++, this change means that the creation and deletion of Delphi-style classes in C++ follows normal memory management just like any heap-allocated C++ class, significantly reducing complexity.
In 10.4, we’ve ported numerous popular C++ libraries to C++Builder, providing optimized support for use within C++Builder.
This includes libraries such as ZeroMQ, SDL2, SOCI, libSIMDpp, and Nematode, as well as others already supported such as Eigen, available for download through the GetIt Package Manager.
10.4 introduces a new debugger for Windows 64-bit for C++. Based on LLDB, this debugger introduces significant stability improvements when debugging 64-bit applications, as well as a key new feature assisting evaluating and inspecting types like C++ and Delphi strings plus STL collections including std::vector and std::map, and more. In addition, the debug information generated for an app uses a different debug format. The end result is a more stable, featureful debugging experience, and much more powerful inspection and evaluation at debug-time.
- A large number of STL improvements from Dinkumware
- Several key RTL methods and areas improved, based on work done to improve compatibility with common C++ libraries
- Several improvements to CMake support
- A large number of quality and stability improvements
- Windows API Updates – We enhanced many API declarations and added additional ones, to further improve the powerful Windows platform integration.
- General enhancements to the FireDAC database access library and also updated the drivers for FireBird, PostgreSQL and SQLite. Choose SQLite static or dynamic linking.
In 10.4, the VCL Styles architecture has been significantly extended to support High DPI and 4K monitors. All UI controls on the VCL form are now automatically scaled for the proper resolution of the monitor the form is displayed on. The style API has been fully revised to support high DPI styles.
Each UI element can be selected from a library of multi-scale versions and scaled to any DPI, resulting in crisp UI elements on all monitors.
We have updated a large number of our built-in and premium VCL styles to provide support for the new High-DPI style mode, letting you design visually stunning applications for any monitor.
VCL developers can now use multiple VCL styles in different forms within a single application or even different visual controls that are on the same form. This also includes support for styling any element using the default platform theme. Beside allowing more flexibility in styling, this also enables you to use third-party unstyled controls within a styled VCL application.
- Added support for the Metal API on macOS and iOS
- In addition to supporting the latest iOS SDK, developers using RAD Studio 10.4 can also address Apple’s new launch screen storyboard requirement through built-in IDE support.
- This release includes a new FMX implementation for the styled TMemo component on the Windows platform, offering better support for IME and additional enhancements.
- Enterprise and Architect Edition customers can take advantage of FMXLinux integration for building Linux GUI applications.
- The TWebBrowser control for iOS is now implemented using the WKWebView API
- The macOS implementation of Media Player control now used AVFoundation
The GetIt Package Manager in the IDE includes significant enhancements in 10.4.
This includes displaying release dates for each package with the ability to sort them by release date; new filtering options for installed packages, exclusive content available for update subscription customers, packages for which updates are available; and more.
In 10.4, we’re introducing a unified installer using our GetIt installer technology. This provides a single installer that supports both online (internet connected) installations and offline installations (via an ISO).
Now both online and offline installations allow you to select an initial set of RAD Studio features to install, such as support for specific combinations of programming languages and target platforms, language support, or help resources, and add or remove them at any time.
The RAD Studio IDE supports you through the full development lifecycle to deliver a single source codebase that you simply recompile and redeploy.
RAD Studio Rio (10.3) empowers developers to create stunning, high performing apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and Linux Server*, using the same native code base. RAD Studio 10.3 makes significant improvements for C++ developers including C++17 Win32 support, improved code completion, debugging for optimized builds and new libraries. Delphi developers can now enjoy inline variable declaration, type inference, and more. For both C++ and Delphi developers, RAD Studio Rio brings enhancements to VCL for High DPI displays, Per Monitor V2 support, new Windows 10 and WinRT APIs, updated mobile platform support, and more.
Finally, RAD Studio Rio adds more value and capabilities to the Enterprise edition with a RAD Server single site deployment license, InterBase ToGo for mobile deployment license and a CData Enterprise Connector license. The Architect edition now includes a CData Enterprise Connector license, a Sencha Ext JS Professional license, InterBase ToGo for mobile deployment license, RAD Server multi-site deployment license, and an Aqua Data Studio license. These additional licenses expand web enablement, application backend server, and database capabilities for your enterprise applications.
We are pleased to announce that RAD Studio 10.3 Rio Release 3 (also known as 10.3.3) is now available. This release adds new capabilities throughout the product designed to benefit Delphi multi-device developers & C++ Windows developers. Delphi 10.3.3, C++Builder 10.3.3 and RAD Studio 10.3.3 are available to download by any active Update Subscription customer.
This new release also includes key fixes and notable enhancements. To learn more about 10.3.3, EMB_TEXT_CLICK_HERE.
Customize your IDE to match your coding style.
The Visual Component Library (VCL) offers easy and visual development of the application user interface, and 10.3 brings new updates to keep your apps looking modern and fresh.
- Enhanced HighDPI Support. Fully support multi-resolution, pixel perfect images on all Windows controls, as well as any custom drawing requiring scaled images for multiple resolution monitors.
- Per Monitor V2 Support. Ensure your Windows app scales correctly by adapting to DPI changes on different screens at runtime.
- Expanded Windows 10 and WinRT API Support. This includes a number of key WinRT APIs and recent Windows 10 APIs, including ready-to-use components for in-app purchases and trials in the Windows 10 Store
- New in 10.3.2: Significant VCL quality improvements
- Updates in many components including ComboBox, MainMenu and PopupMenu, TreeView, StatusBar, PageControl, Button, DateTimePicker
- Additional High DPI and scaling refinement
- Enhancements in forms, frames, painting and styling primitives
- New in 10.3.1: Ten New VCL Styles
RAD Server is a turn-key application foundation for rapidly building and deploying services based applications
Build end-to-end solution for modern Windows 10, macOS, iOS, Android and Linux applications.
Create apps for all supported platforms with less coding effort. Write once, compile everywhere.
Connect to over 20 databases natively with FireDAC’s high speed direct access. Including InterBase, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Firebird, Access, Informix, MongoDB and more.
Create a single responsive platform aware UI once and deploy cross platform.
Modernize VCL apps to support Windows 10 with up-to-date user interface controls, WinRT APIs, HighDPI related features and Windows Store support.
Develop both server and FireMonkey GUI applications for Linux with RAD Studio (Delphi personality).
Develop macOS applications quickly and easily with RAD Studio (Delphi personality).
Deliver iOS and Android applications faster and smarter with platform-aware user interface controls in the FireMonkey framework. Prototype faster with the multi-device designer and live preview in the IDE.
Easily connect your apps to gadgets, devices, sensors, enterprise data, and cloud services.
Use the HTTP and REST client libraries, available on all platforms, to invoke REST services or AWS and Azure components. Leverage powerful CData Enterprise Connectors to access 70+ data sources.
The RAD Studio IDE is used by developers worldwide to build all kinds of applications, and has an open API for expanding its capabilities. Develop and expand the IDE with your own components and IDE plugins, or find ready to use add-ons from our rich 3rd party ecosystem.
Get more from the Architect Edition with these included Idera family licenses.
GetIt now supports parallel downloads to get your new IDE installed with the latest components faster - So get downloading now and enjoy the 10.3 release.
RAD Studio 10.1 Berlin Update 2 - Anniversary Edition
We made big improvements to RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder with one central goal in mind: helping you build cross-platform Native Apps faster than ever before and delivering them to the largest audience possible with ease.
Continuing our promise to deliver more in product updates, and ultimately allow you to code on one version for longer, 10.1 Berlin Update 2 – Anniversary Edition delivers competitive advantage by making it easy to deliver your existing VCL applications to millions of new customers faster than with any other tool!
Why 10.1 Berlin Update 2 - Anniversary Edition?
Windows Desktop Bridge Deployment Support allows you to package new and existing desktop applications ready for the Windows 10 Store directly from your IDE using Microsoft's Desktop Bridge. Target hundreds of millions of Windows 10 devices with your existing VCL or FMX code base. Same code, new customers!
With Microsoft Windows Store now alongside macOS, Android and iOS store support, you can now reach billions of users from a single cross-platform app codebase!
QuickEdits – Increase your productivity in the VCL designer with the ability to rapidly modify the name, caption, alignment, layout and color of a control, copy the component name, quickly layout a form from a template, connect images and image lists, and bind the control to a data source or data field.
10.1 Berlin Update 2 benefits from the many new productivity features added in recent releases, including large project support, code block highlighting and the market leading FireUI offering live preview of prototypes on different devices as you design.
New VCL Controls in Update 2 – Improve application usability with two calendar components for Windows 10 that mimic WinRT UI controls while providing support for older versions of Windows.
New Windows 10 Styles – Modernize your application’s look-and-feel with three new Windows 10 styles added for FireMonkey and VCL in Update 2
10.1 Berlin continues to be the fastest way to take full advantage of Windows 10. Support includes native WinRT/UWP components and APIs, Windows 10 VCL User Experience controls, and updated Windows 10 VCL and FMX support.
- Update 2 has an enhanced GetIt Installer that preserve configuration settings on upgrade.
- Additionally, using GetIt you can rapidly add a range of 3rd party components quickly to your IDE, saving time on setup and configuration.