For more detailed information on what's new in Delphi XE8, see the What's New in Delphi XE8 page.
New features include:
- Integrated Compilers and Toolchains: New in XE8! Support for iOS Universal Apps (including both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries in an app bundle)
- FMX Application Platform (FireMonkey): FireUI Mobile Previews, New platform controls for iOS, MapView component, WebBrowser component for Windows and OSX, improved mixing of platform and styled components, ImageList Component, Lollipop specific styles, application analytics support, and proximity support based on Beacon technology…
- Visual Component Library (VCL): Font scaling improvements, application analytics support, app tethering extensions and protocol enhancements…
- Language and Runtime Library Features: iOS 64-bit API headers and RTL integration for Delphi and C++, Box2D physics engine, Object Pascal interfaces for the Box2D physics engine, native HTTP(s) client library support on Windows, OSX, and mobile platforms (iOS Android)…
- Personal Developer Productivity: GetIt Package Manager for easy discovery, download and update of source code libraries, components, and other features from Embarcadero GetIt Package Manager server; Configuration settings migration tool, to migrate configurations of older versions of the product to a newer version, or between different installations of the same version; New coding enhancements include code refactoring, live syntax checking, metrics, structural code highlighting, parenthesis matching, flow control highlighting, and code analysis. It all adds up to a more productive developer and to help better understand team productivity and code quality.
- Source Code Management: Version Insight – Integrated framework for supporting source code management tooling inside the IDE; Subversion integration into the IDE, including change list labels, SVN merge dialog, branches switching and more; Git version control integration into the IDE, now including authentication, Push and Pull changes to and from remote repositories; Mercurial version control integration into the IDE (supports cloning your remote repository, commit changes locally, show log data) …
- Integrated Unit Testing: Integrated unit testing with the DUnitX testing framework…
- Enterprise Mobility Services: EMS Push Notifications server support for iOS and Android; Improved analytics for users and groups; EMS client application to manage user accounts…
...and much more including quality and performance improvements throughout.
It could be a little confusing for some customers when they purchase Delphi XE8 and receive seven different serial numbers and download links. We tried to keep it simple by just delivering the XE8 license and allowing them to request the other licenses as needed.
Embarcadero® Delphi® is the fastest way to develop highly connected applications for Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, gadgets, and wearables. Modernize existing Windows applications and create highly connected apps. Deliver high performance, compiled native applications that easily connect with enterprise data, cloud services, devices, sensors, and gadgets.
Delphi is available in five editions – Starter, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate and Architect. See the Delphi product editions page and feature matrix for details on the differences between the editions.
Delphi – The fastest way to build connected apps for Windows, OS X, iOS, Android and the Internet of Things.
DB PowerStudio Dev edition (in Ultimate edition only) – DB PowerStudio provides fast SQL database development, database change management, SQL profiling, and SQL tuning
ER/Studio 9.5 Developer Edition (in Architect edition only) – ER/Studio helps data architects discover, document, and re-use data assets and gives you the power to easily reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases.
InterBase Developer Edition and InterBase ToGo (in Professional edition and above) – InterBase Developer Edition provides developers with the best cross-platform database to build and test database applications for embedded and SME applications.
IBLite database for Windows, OS X, Android and iOS with free deployment license (in Professional with Mobile Add-On, Enterprise, Ultimate and Architect editions) – Use this new edition of InterBase in your apps and deploy free. InterBase ToGo is also available (sold separately) for developers who want a more feature rich database to embed in their apps.
Additional Tools – Delphi includes a comprehensive set of additional tools to help you do more than ever before. These are generally special editions of the tools created to be bundled with Delphi and the feature sets may differ from the full commercial versions.
- FastReport VCL RAD edition and FastReport FireMonkey Embarcadero Edition from Fast Reports so you can quickly design and generate reports
- TeeChart Standard from Steema provides quick and easy-to-use charting components
- CodeSite Express logging tools for building quality applications
- AQtime Standard from SmartBear for performance profiling
- Beyond Compare Text Compare lets you view differences between source files
- IntraWeb from Atozed for building web applications in the same way you build Delphi applications
Mobile development features for Android and iOS are available in the following editions of Delphi :
- Professional + Mobile Add-On Pack
Professional edition without the Mobile Add-On Pack and Starter edition do not support mobile development.
Mobile development features are also included in all editions of Embarcadero RAD Studio .
DataSnap Mobile Connectors are available in Enterprise edition and above.
When developing for iOS, you will also need a Mac computer for development and running in the simulator. You will need an Apple Developer account to test and deploy to iOS devices. Additional details are available in the online and product documentation.
FireDAC makes database app development fun again with high performance, multi-device enterprise database connectivity for Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio. With its powerful universal architecture FireDAC enables direct access from your applications to Oracle, SQL Server, InterBase, DB2, Firebird, SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Access, Informix, DataSnap and more. And now, access to IBLite, InterBase ToGo and SQLite databases from your Delphi Android and iOS apps. In addition to blazing speed and universal access, FireDAC also supports vendor specific database features as well as deployment across multiple client operating systems and device platforms.
FireDAC is included as part of the install. Features vary by edition with local/embedded database connectivity to select databases in Professional edition and local/embedded plus enterprise database connectivity in Enterprise edition or higher, or with purchase of the Client/Server Add-On Pack for Professional. More information is available at http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac.
Yes. With Delphi Professional edition and above, you also get access to licenses for earlier versions – Delphi 2007-XE6, and Delphi 7. See the Delphi Previous Versions web page for further details.
No. They are considered part of your XE7 license and are tied to your user account. They cannot be given away or sold.
Your earlier version license, and the XE7 version you upgrade to, are considered one named user license that covers both versions. If you already own an earlier version and go to the web page and request the same version license, you will just get a re-send of your existing serial number.
Some of those earlier products are only available as Professional and Enterprise editions.
Version 2006 included some third party licensed code that we are no longer able to ship. Delphi 6 and earlier were discontinued years ago and we don't have plans to bring them back.
Those versions used an earlier version of our licensing technology.
It could be a little confusing for some customers when they purchase Delphi XE7 and receive seven different serial numbers and download links. We tried to keep it simple by just delivering the XE7 license and allowing them to request the other licenses as needed.
We can't guarantee that the older versions will be available indefinitely so you should be sure to download your earlier version software and licenses within 180 days.
The earlier versions are available in English, French, German and Japanese. For versions 2007 and later, there is a single download and you choose the language at install time. For version 7, there is a separate download for each localized version.
The RAD License Recharge Plan allows you to continually recharge your RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder license with every major release at an affordable License Recharge fee for each release. Rather than trying to decide which release to upgrade to each year, with the Recharge Plan you can now stay up-to-date with every release and all the latest new features, OS versions and new device support all year long - all for less than the price of one single annual upgrade. Learn more at http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/recharge.
Update Subscription can be purchased at the time you purchase your Delphi product or upgrade. The Update Subscription agreement gives you a year of upgrades (including major and minor upgrades) and a specified number of support incidents. See the Support dropdown menu item of our web site for additional information.
With Update Subscription, you get the latest feature updates and upgrades as they are released. The mobile functionality in Delphi may have frequent upgrades and feature updates. Update Subscription is generally the most cost effective way to stay up-to-date with the latest versions.
Updates and additional software for Delphi users are available on the registered users download page at http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/delphi. More major new feature upgrades are available only to users with current Maintenance agreements. Notifications for those upgrades are delivered via email and the upgrades can be downloaded via the Maintenance Portal web site by following the instructions in the email.
Delphi is available in English, French, German and Japanese. The installer lets you choose any combination of languages and it's easy to switch between languages in the IDE.
Delphi is available with multiple licensing options including:
- Individual named user licenses delivered via electronic software delivery (ESD) as a download and serial number. Discounted 5-packs and 10-packs are also available.
- Network Named and Concurrent user licenses managed using Embarcadero AppWave provide the additional flexibility of managing licenses on a license server plus software provisioning
- Network licenses managed by Flexera FlexNet are available on a special request basis
- Academic individual licenses for students and educators as well as volume licenses for classroom use
The Academic edition can be used only for learning in an academic or classroom environment. Educational institutions cannot use the academic version to produce software for use within their institution to commercial licenses.
InterBase XE3 Developer Edition is InterBase XE3 Server licensed for up to 20 users (80 database connections). The InterBase software is automatically installed with a default install of Delphi and licensed with your Delphi serial number. An InterBase ToGo developer license is also included in your Delphi license. You can deploy InterBase ToGo for testing purposes using the ToGo Test Deployment serial number included as part of your Delphi order delivery email. This is not available for AppWave Network license users.
When you're ready to deploy applications using InterBase, Embarcadero offers a variety of editions (Desktop, Server and To-Go) and a variety of licensing options (flexible server licensing, multi-packs and OEM licensing). Contact Embarcadero Sales or partners for more information. See the license terms in the Delphi license.rtf file for additional licensing details.
To obtain your free IBLite deployment license, use the IBLite serial number in your order delivery email and follow the instructions to generate a license file that you will use to distribute IBLite with your Windows, OS X, Android and iOS applications.
Yes. You can develop applications on any of the supported development platforms and deploy your app to any of the supported deployment platforms - even if they are different.
The DataSnap Mobile Connector feature generates connectivity code that you can incorporate into mobile applications for iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone 7. You develop your mobile applications using the standard development tools and languages for each platform such as Objective C with the Xcode IDE for iOS, Java for Android and Blackberry, or Silverlight for Windows Phone 7. You then use the DataSnap Mobile Connector code to provide connectivity to your native C++Builder or Delphi DataSnap server.
The following mobile platforms are currently supported by the various DataSnap Connectors:
- Android 2.x, 3.x, or 4.x (Java)
- Windows Phone 7 (C# Silverlight--all devices compatible with the platform)
- NEW in XE8 iOS 7 and 8 (Objective-C)
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB+ recommended)
- 3-30 GB free hard disk space depending on edition and configuration
- DVD-ROM drive (if installing from a Media Kit DVD)
- Basic GPU – Any vendor DirectX 9.0 class or better (Pixel Shader Level 2)
- Intel® Pentium® or compatible, 1.6 GHz minimum (2GHz+ recommended)
- 1024x768 or higher-resolution monitor
- Mouse or other pointing device
- Microsoft® Windows 8 or 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Delphi can also be run on OS X by using a virtual machine (VM) such as VMware Fusion or Parallels hosting Windows 7 or 8
For developing 64-bit Windows applications
PC running a 64-bit version of Windows or a 32-bit development PC connected with a PC running a 64-bit version of Windows
For developing OS X applications
PC running Windows connected with an Intel-based Mac or a Mac running Windows in a VM, with 2 GB RAM or more, running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
For developing iOS applications
PC running Windows connected with an Intel-based Mac or a Mac running Windows in a VM, with 2 GB RAM or more, running OS X 10.9 or 10.8 with Xcode 5.0 or 5.1.1. An Apple Developer account is required to deploy iOS apps to physical devices.
Supported deployment platforms
PCs and tablets with Intel/AMD processors running Windows 7 SP1, 8, 8.1, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012. Macs running OS X 10.8 or 10.9. iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch running iOS 7. Android phones and tablets: ARMv7 devices with NEON support, running Android Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3, 4.0.4), Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x) or KitKat (4.4.x).
Because of the use of Unicode as the default string type, Windows 98, 95, and ME will not run applications produced with Delphi 2009 or later. These operating systems do not support Unicode strings, and Microsoft has dropped support for them.
Applications built with Delphi 2009-XE2 and VCL will run on Windows 2000 or later. Applications built with Delphi XE3-XE5 will run on Windows XP and later. Applications built with Delphi XE6-XE7 will run on Windows 7 later.
Apps created with Delphi are designed to run on Android phones and tablets: ARMv7 devices with NEON FPU support, running Android Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3, 4.0.4) Jelly Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x) or KitKat (4.4.x). Compatibility may vary based on device hardware and specs. Click here for more details on the supported Android versions and devices, including devices we have tested.
To install, you will need to have installed on your system:
- The Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher
- The Microsoft Visual J 2.0 Redistributable Package
- Windows Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher
- MSXML 6
The installer will install the prerequisite software if you don't already have it installed.
You can use an online service like MacinCloud to run OS X apps that you create with Delphi and you can use MacinCloud to test your iOS apps in the simulator. Access to a physical Mac machine is required for on-device testing.
Most existing code will work fine using the new default UnicodeString. Code that does byte level manipulation of string data, or that carries data in string variables probably needs to be examined and perhaps updated to account for the new character sizes inherent in Unicode string data. For more information, see the documentation and Embarcadero Developer Network for information about moving existing code to Unicode.
Yes. When you first run the product, a small application will open and ask you to register the product. Once that is done, and your product key is validated, then your product will be registered and installed.
Yes, you should be able to do so, depending on the installed components required by your projects. Delphi uses the MSBuild system for the build engine, and thus requires a new project file if you are upgrading from version 2007 or earlier. However, the IDE will seamlessly update your projects to the new format.
No. Delphi produces native Windows and OS X. You can import .NET assemblies as COM objects, but the code produced by Delphi is strictly native code.
Some of the functionality of the IDE requires these software packages.
No. Applications produced with Delphi do not require any .NET runtime support. The product produces native compiled Windows applications based on the Windows API.
The ER/Studio Developer Edition data modeling and visualization in Delphi Architect is a subset of the full ER/Studio. Delphi Architect doesn't include metadata import/export capabilities or access to ER/Studio team repository servers. It includes limited reporting functionality (HTML only). The ER/Studio functionality in Delphi Architect supports a specific set of databases in line with those supported by dbExpress, while the full ER/Studio products offer flexible configurations for those databases and more.
Yes, Delphi coexists nicely with earlier versions of RAD Studio, C++Builder and Delphi.
Yes. For Delphi, COMPILERVERSION is set to 28.0, and RTLVERSION is set to 28.0.
Yes. See the Embarcadero Certification Center web page at certification for information on the Delphi developer certification program.