FireDAC Multi-Device Data Access Library
Database development is fun again with FireDAC. RAD Studio now includes FireDAC, a high performance data access library for developing applications for multiple devices, connected to enterprise databases.
Universal Enterprise Data Connectivity
FireDAC is a Universal Data Access library for developing applications for multiple devices, connected to enterprise databases. With its powerful universal architecture, FireDAC enables native high-speed direct access from Delphi and C++Builder to InterBase, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Firebird, Access, Informix, DataSnap and more.
What's New in FireDAC
FireDAC is being extended with new features and is at the core of the new Enterprise Mobility Services. Specifically, new features include:
- New in 10 Seattle! FireDAC NoSQL Driver for MongoDB
- New in 10 Seattle! DataSnap Enhancements DataSnap improvements include compression of the FireDACJSONReflac unit, support for HTTP client library for DataSnap HTTP connections (with no need to deploy OpenSLL for HTTS connections), and sample use of FDSchemaAdapter with DataSnap.
- New in 10 Seattle! Improvements of FireDAC cached updates mode, including new UpdateOptions.AutoCommitUpdates property and improved compatibility with TClientDataSet
- New in 10 Seattle! Optimization and extension of FireDAC ETL TFDBatchMoveSQLWriter component, with support for MERGE / INSERT OR REPLACE commands and for dmAppend, dmUpdate, dmAppendUpdate modes.
- FireDAC Teradata database support, based on the Teradata database ODBC driver
- FireDAC support for XE7 Change Views
- FireDAC support for change notifications
- Improved FireDAC updates management
- Tools and scripts to help migration of dbExpress code to FireDAC
- iOS and Android mobile database support, including SQLite, InterBase ToGo and IBLite
- Comprehensive support for SQLite v3.+ database, including "smart" data type recognition, supporting both dynamic and static linking
- FireDAC streaming support for blob fields and support for MSSQL file streams
- New IBLite driver for desktop and mobile
- Support for DBMS API command native timeouts.
- FireDAC connection parameters are now displayed in the Object Inspector as a record
- Data Explorer enhancements (primary keys and fields are displayed, foreign keys and fields are displayed, sequences/generators are now displayed)
- New TFDBatchMove component for copying tables data and metadata between different databases
- Improvements in TFDCustomSchemaAdapter component and in the TFDParam class
|FireDAC features by edition of RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder||Professional|
|Enterprise, Ultimate and Architect editions|
Local/embedded connectivity and support for certain databases
Local/embedded/remote connectivity and support for more databases
Optional with purchase of FireDAC C/S Add-On Pack for Professional
FireDAC is a powerful, yet easy-to-use access layer that supports, abstracts, and simplifies data access, providing all the features needed to build real-world high-load applications. FireDAC provides a common API for accessing different database back-ends, without giving up access to unique database-specific features and without compromising on performance. Use FireDAC in Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X applications you are developing for PCs, tablets and smartphones.
FireDAC Features include:
Data Access Engine
FireDAC datasets are built on top of a powerful data access engine. This lightweight, effective and flexible engine can be used directly in applications and serves as a powerful foundation to the datasets API. The engine consists of the dataset components and the non-component layers, represented by the flexible object oriented APIs.
- Easy to use TDataSet descendant classes including TFDQuery, TFDMemTable, TFDStoredProc, and TFDTable
- Dataset classes that are highly compatible with original BDE datasets and ClientDataSet
- One of the fastest in-memory datasets, with sorting, filtering, aggregates, filtered and expression indexes, persistence and more
- Local SQL engine for executing SQL queries against datasets
High-Performance Data Access
Database access is optimized using many different techniques often found only in database-specific components, which let you get faster data access out of the box.
- Live Data Window mode enabling fast bi-directional navigation through large datasets
- Array Data Manipulation Language (DML) command execution and Command Batches for batch applications and for minimizing network traffic
- Customizable and flexible "row set" fetching
- Direct support for asynchronous command execution, command execution timeout, and command execution canceling
- Automatic, efficient and sophisticated update command generation and execution
- Cached updates mode with ability to track correlated changes for several datasets with cascading updates
- Full support for auto-incrementing fields, including those based on generators and table triggers
FireDAC provides a range of features that help abstract the differences between database systems, making it easy to write code that does not have to be concerned about different DBMS dialects or other subtle differences between DBMSs.
- SQL dialect abstraction through FireDAC escape sequences, conditional statements and macros
- Data type unification with flexible and adjustable data type mapping
- Unified error reporting, including DBMS-independent and DBMS-specific error information
- Unified transaction support, with separate read and update transactions, and access to the full power of the specific transactions support of InterBase and Firebird
- Support for multiple Unicode and ANSI encodings
- Automatic connection recovery, automatically re-establishing the connection in case of an unstable environment
- Disconnected connection mode, allowing application to continue to work without a physical connection to a database
- Database events and notifications support
- Unified SQL scripts support
- Extended metadata retrieval capabilities
Native Driver Support
In addition to universal DBMS connectivity, FireDAC also support native database drivers that give you first-class access to the powerful and advanced features that make each database unique.
- Access to specific APIs and features for several databases:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle Database
- Sybase SQL Anywhere
- Microsoft Access
- IBM DB2 Server
- Advantage Database
- Support for services like backup, restore, security management, and more
- Mobile database access on Android and iOS for these databases:
- InterBase – InterBase ToGo and IBLite
Get started with FireDAC today
- Check out the FireDAC FAQ for answers to frequently asked questions
- View the FireDAC documentation online for additional technical details and how-to tips
Introduction to FireDAC
Click the gear icon at the bottom of the video player and switch to HD quality for the best video experience.