What's New in RAD Studio 10.2.2
RAD Studio Tokyo Release 2 (10.2.2) empowers developers to build and extend cross-platform native apps faster than ever before.
RAD Studio 10.2.2 adds new features including FireMonkey Quick Edit support, a number of new VCL controls, a new dark themed IDE option, a RAD Server single site deployment license in Enterprise and Architect editions, installer and welcome page enhancements, and more.
RAD Studio 10.2 follows the 10.1.2 release that introduced the first IDE to offer Windows 32bit and 64bit developers access to the Windows store via the Windows 10 Desktop Bridge, expanding AppStore support to Windows, macOS, iOS and Android stores.
Review: What's New in RAD Studio 10.2
RAD Studio 10.2 includes the first RAD Studio Linux compiler, improved IDE menus for faster navigation, a host of FireMonkey updates and new features, new TDataSet capabilities, multi-tenancy support in RAD Server, updates to FireDAC, a number of RTL enhancements, improvements in SOAP support, greatly improved compiled C++ performance, and more.
Code Your Way
With a new dark theme and installer, customizing your IDE to match your coding style has never been easier.
- New Dark Theme Designed for night-time work and developers who prefer working with dark styled applications. Dark themes have been reported to reduce eye strain in low light environments, allowing you to work more productively at night. It's easy to toggle between dark and light themes via a toolbar menu.
- Improved Installer The improved installer UI and license manager UI help you identify the options you need and skip what you don't.
- Customizable UI The IDE's layouts are now even more customizable, with a new layout option for startup and when no files are open.
- New Component IconsFind the components you need at a glance with modernized icons, designed to be clear and recognizable.
Create Amazing Cross-Platform UIs
FireMonkey enables modern cross-platform user interfaces, and now it's even better with these improvements:
- Quick Edit feature allows you to easily edit a control by changing its name, caption, alignment and layout options (New in 10.2.2).
- Multi-Threading Support for TBitmap, TCanvas and TContext3D
- Faster Android UI's with enhanced thread support.
- Enhanced user interaction management for TMultiView
- Change the SystemStatusBar Color on iOS with new TForm Properties.
- New FMX styles for macOS and Android to make your apps look amazing!
Deploy Services Based Apps with RAD Server
- RAD Studio 10.2 added multi-tenancy support
- A single RAD Server instance with a single RAD Server database connection can now support multiple isolated tenants
- Each tenant has a unique set of RAD Server resources including Users, Groups, Installations, Edge Modules, and other data
- Tenant Administration: Create new tenants, edit existing ones, add, edit or delete tenants
- NEW in 10.2.2! Enterprise and Architect editions now include a single server/single site deployment license for RAD Server ($5000 value)
Delphi Linux Compiler.
Starting in RAD Studio 10.2, the Delphi IDE includes its first LLVM based Linux compiler for enterprise development, enabling Delphi developers to target 64-bit Intel Linux servers and devices. The Linux compiler is certified for Ubuntu Server (LTS 16.04) and RedHat Enterprise (V7) and is built on top of the LLVM engine. ARC is enabled for effective memory management, while to ensure compatibility with code written for Windows Server, one based strings are used by default.
The new Linux compiler includes
- Full File System support
- Threads and Parallel Programming Library
- FireDAC database access support (for most Linux compatible databases).
- WebBroker, EMS (RAD Server), and DataSnap
Your Data on Linux
Connect to MySQL, Advantage Database Server, Sybase ASA, IBM DB2, Firebird, InterBase, MongoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostreSQL, SQLite, and Teradata on Linux.
Worried about your data on Linux? Check out the latest release of our award winning SQL database - InterBase 2017. The home of Change Views now includes server wide monitoring and new language features like derived tables and common table expressions in a secure established 1st class Linux citizen. Contact Sales for details and ISV pricing.
New for C++
- Greatly improved compiled C++ performance, debugging, and large memory support for the linker.
- The Clang-enhanced Win32 and Win64 compilers support -O3, a strong optimization level which may double compiled code performance in some situations
- Better codegen for of -O1 and -O2 optimizations in the Clang-enhanced compilers
- The Clang-enhanced Win32 compiler supports generating debug info referencing external types, which reduces the size of debug information generated when referring to common shared types, such as VCL types. This significantly shrinks the size of generated debug data
- Packages on iOS and Android, which are statically linked, are built with the correct .a extension instead of .so
- C++ Android applications can be built without requiring specific versions of the NDK
A number of significant quality fixes, including:
- Linker out of memory errors: the linker is now large address aware and has been modified for current linking usage patterns, which should solve all linking errors. More options are exposed in the IDE to allow customization for projects with unusual link data behaviour.
- (Classic and Clang-enhanced compilers) Exception handling memory leaks and odd behaviour has been reworked and significantly improved
- (Clang-enhanced compilers) Class names are always available in the call stack
- (Clang-enhanced compilers) Local variables for both Win32 and Win64 are significantly enhanced in the debugger
- (Clang-enhanced compilers) Debugger support for multiple variables with the same name in the the same method
New and improved database capabilities
- New - MariaDB support (v5.5)
- New GUID access for TField
- MySQL support for v5.7
- Firebird support for Direct I/O
- Reduce client side memory usage with BLOBS streaming
- VCL TDBImage direct support for JPEG and PNG graphic formats
- TFDMemTable design time dataset editor to create data for runtime use
Cross platform RTL Improvements
- New SynchronizeEvents property for TTetheringManager and TTetheringProfile to control the event synchronization with the main thread
- New MD5 and SHA1 hash function support for files and streams
- AppTethering Log Filtering and SynchronizeEvents for smooth main thread synchronization